While other wheel brands limit focus to traditional box-section rim designs, Zipp engineers—uninhibited by legacy technology—took a different approach with motorsports as a model. Zipp’s Moto Technology’s single-wall rim is the optimal approach for a trail wheelset. We call one of the key features “Ankle Compliance”. Imagine a runner rounding a sharp turn; their ankle naturally flexes to maintain grip as they lean. In a similar way, a Moto rim can locally flex. The rim can locally flex to stay parallel to the ground during cornering, which increases traction much like a human ankle. This ability to twist locally also allows it to deflect during single bead impacts without the rider getting bounced off line.
What is MOTO Technology?
- What are the key features and main benefits of Zipp 101 XPLR wheelset?
- Why would I pick Zipp 101 XPLR wheels for gravel riding instead of the 303 S or 303 Firecrest tubeless wheels?
- Can I use TyreWiz with the Zipp 101 XPLR wheelset?
- Is there a specific spoke tension required when building Zipp 3ZERO MOTO wheels?
- What tires are compatible with Zipp 303 S wheels?